“I’m not sure how to help my child with schoolwork.” “I see my child study for tests and not do well.” “How much help is too much? Or Not enough?” As a parent, do you have questions like these? For students reading this book, have you ever thought: I studied all night and didn’t do well on the test? Do you question why spending more time on schoolwork often does not reflect increased learning or higher grades?
We all think we know how to study. Many of us have spent years in educational settings. Because we have learned, do we know how learning occurs? Often the answer is no. Fewer than 10% of students have parents who are certified educators. Where can the other 90% of parents go to find answers? If you are a student, where can you go to find out how to maximize learning while spending less time doing so? The answer is this guide.
Patrice Bain has shown thousands of students with a wide range of abilities how to increase school performance. Having worked with cognitive scientists in the classroom for over half of her 25+ year teaching career, Bain knows how students learn and has developed strategies that increase memory, grades and retention of material. This book is not about fads or the latest shiny gadgets. Instead, this guide, based on rigorous research, gives the inside look into how all of us learn best. Filled with stories making learning relevant, and strategies to use at home, this guide will be like having a seat in Mrs. Bain’s engaging classroom.
About the Author
Patrice M. Bain, Ed.S. is an educator, speaker and author. Finalist for Illinois Teacher of the Year and a Fulbright Scholar in Russia, she has been featured in national and international webinars, podcasts, articles and press, including PBS NOVA and Scientific American. She spent 15 of her 25+ year teaching career working with cognitive scientists turning research into learning strategies. Bain was asked by the Department of Education to work with cognitive scientists to co-author Organizing Instruction and Study to Improve Student Learning. In addition, Patrice co-authored Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning. Bain was one of two U.S. teachers on the working task group: Neuromyths vs. Neurotruths, sponsored by Institute of Education Sciences (IES) and National Commission on Education Research (NCER) and is on the Educational Advisory Boards for the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and Deans for Impact. Follow Patrice on Twitter @PatriceBain1 and visit her website at www.patricebain.com
|No of pages||76|
|Publication Date||16 Nov 2020|
Write Your Own Review
Quality Price ValueSpeaking as both a parent and teacher, this is certainly the "must-have" book for parents, who are interested in helping their children learn.
Patrice starts with a gentle introduction to the science of learning, providing enough information without alienating the reader. Then she picks up the pace, with three power tools that all students should be using. Her explanations of these tools are clear with amusing anecdotal stories and easy to follow practical examples that one can start using at home immediately. There is also a useful summary at the end of each chapter listing the main points. The final chapters of the book give more advice about the science of learning, including everyday tips that we knew worked, but did not know why.
Highly recommended for all parents, carers, teachers and educators alike.